We won Sustainability Entrepreneur of the Year for the Midlands region at the Great British Entrepreneur Awards!
The Great British Entrepreneur Awards were born out of a belief that great entrepreneurs aren’t just defined by their financial success. They’ve all got a story. The Awards celebrate and champion the entrepreneurs behind brilliant businesses. But they’re not just an awards ceremony. The Great British Entrepreneur Awards are a community of year-round support for winners and finalists to connect, support each other and showcase their businesses.
We’re delighted to have been recognised as an industry leader in the sustainability sector. This feels particularly special after a year in which we’ve:
- Become a certified BCorp with one of the highest scores in the UK (95)
- Started accepting donations to Re:Down, to give down jackets, duvets and sleeping bags a new life
- Committed to reducing our carbon emissions by 46% (by 2025) to help limit temperature rises to 1.5°C, 5 years ahead of the SBTi deadline
- Become a certified Living Wage employer and increased their pay rates for all, in the midst of lockdown
- Reduced air freight to less than 10%
- Rehomed over 3 tonnes of outdoor gear from 7,000 customers since 2017 through our Continuum Project, keeping it out of landfill
- Become a signatory of the Microfibre 2030 Commitment
- Completed over 2000 outdoor gear repairs, regardless of brand
- Donated to more than 1,000 projects through the Alpkit Foundation, including over 140 food projects in lockdown
- Sent zero waste to landfill at our main sites
- Moved our performance waterproofs to 100% PFC-free water repellents
- Delivered sustainability training to all of our new-starters and staff on a rolling annual programme
“We are so proud to win the Sustainability Entrepreneur of the Year, as it recognises the incredible effort throughout the company to effect positive change.” Nick Smith, Managing Director at Alpkit