This Wednesday the 30th of March, we were awarded Highly Commended Small Business of the Year at the edie Sustainability Leaders Awards. Yay!
The edie awards are the UK’s largest sustainability awards. They celebrate the people, projects and partnerships that transform businesses. It’s an amazing opportunity to have your achievements recognised. We were so proud to attend alongside huge names like Boots, Microsoft and Co-op.
Chris Packham CBE, naturalist, nature photographer, television presenter and author was the host. And he said our name. Three times!
We’re overjoyed with our achievements in the sustainability sphere. But we’ll always try to do more. Here’s a quick summary of what’s happened so far and what was noted by the judges at the awards. We:
- became a certified B Corp and we were formally recognised as a Living Wage Foundation Employer in 2020, despite challenges posed by the pandemic.
- increased their pay rates for all, in the midst of lockdown.
- reduced our carbon intensity by 27% year on year.
- offset Scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gases to become officially carbon neutral.
- supported over 140 food projects in lockdown via the Alpkit Foundation, our independent charity that awards small grants to people and projects.
- are about to roll out our plastic-free shipping trial, which will achieve an annualised reduction of 678kg of plastic.
"It's great to be recognised by edie judges for our work last year," said David Hanney, Alpkit Chief Exec. "We're working not just to make long-lasting, repairable and recyclable technical outdoor products but also to build a company we want to work for. Our environmental principles go deep into our ethics and ethos. Thanks to the whole team for making this possible."