- Escape to ancient trackways of Wessex’s chalk downs, passing the prehistoric remains of Avebury, Silbury Hill and Stonehenge.
- Ride traffic free paths along the River Dart, River Camel and River Exe stopping for river swims and picnics in sun-dappled woodlands.
- Climb to the windswept heights of Dartmoor and Exmoor and descend beneath the towering crags of Cheddar Gorge
- Discover car-free routes through the grand estates of Longleat, Stourhead, Lanhydrock and Ashton Court.
Jack Thurston, best-selling author of Lost Lanes and presenter of the Bike Show, takes you on a freewheeling tour of the lost lanes and forgotten byways of Avon, Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Somerset and Wiltshire. This beautiful full colour book contains 30 specially selected rides, and 6 organised event rides.
Each route is graded from easy to challenging, and includes the best pubs, wild swims, tea stops and stunning viewpoints – as well as overnight stops, from B&Bs to camping under the stars. With detailed mapping and route overviews, and links to downloadable GPX files and OS maps.
Including beautiful photography, this is the perfect gift for the armchair traveller and cycling adventurer. Rides graded from easy to challenging, with best pubs and tea stops, wild swims, finest viewpoints and accommodation too.
- 36 rides
- Route overviews, distances and maps
- Overnight stops, from B&Bs to camping under the stars
- Best pubs and tea stops
- Wild swims, breathtaking views and fascinating history
- How to access each ride by train (no car required!)
- 3 Year Alpine Bond
About the Author
Jack has spent most of his life exploring the British countryside by bike. As presenter of The Bike Show on Resonance FM, he has brought his affable, infectious velophilia to London’s airwaves, attracting an enthusiastic worldwide audience via the popular podcast edition – now celebrating its one millionth download. His articles about cycling have appeared in the Guardian, Cycling Plus, the Sunday Times and Cycle.